Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Whose Your Real Daddy?

Jennifer took the boys to baseball practice tonight, and I stayed home with the girls. Jennifer needed some time to work on her Bible study, and she did that while the boys practiced. I played "crack the egg" with the girls on the trampoline for a while. After that, they got a bath and got ready for bed. We came downstairs where I read them two of our favorite books, both by Liz Curtis Higgs - "The Pumpkin Patch Parable" and "The Pine Tree Parable." After reading both these books, which emphasize spiritual truths about the seasons of harvest and Christmas, Brenna began a discussion about God and her "real" daddy. "I want to talk to my real daddy," she said. "Baby," I said, "we don't know who your real daddy is." Little did I realize that her thought process was much deeper than mine. I was thinking in the physical realm. She was on the spiritual realm. "I'm talking about God, daddy. God is my real Daddy." "Yes, He is. He is your real Daddy." I didn't have to tell her that. I just had to agree and affirm the truth that she was stating. I'm not sure that she grasps the truth fully; but I believe she gets more of it than I realize she does.
The physical truth is that we don't know who Brenna's biological dad is. We never have; and we never will - never. Now Brenna may struggle with that when she gets a little older; but I'm hoping and praying and believing that it won't matter. I say that with cautious confidence because she, as a beautiful 4 1/2 year old, understands something much deeper and much more significant than knowing who her biological dad is. She knows that I'm her daddy; and that I love her very much as my own. She also knows that God, our heavenly Daddy, is "a father of the fatherless..." (Psalm 68:5). Simply put, God is her biological "real" daddy, and I'm her earthly "real" daddy. So as she gets older and wants to know more about who her biological father is and struggles with the reality that she'll never know, I'll be honest and open and transparent with her (and Brandon and Bradley and Bethany) and remind them all frequently that God is the Father to the fatherless and pray that they will rest in that reality and truth. posted by John

2 comments:

Kevin Preston said...

I think at times that I need to try to simplify God so the kids might be able to understand His ways better(yeah right, like I understand His ways). They seem to have an easier time grasping it than I do. I honestly believe God uses them in the process of sanctification more than we imagine. Very touching story. Thanks for sharing.

taters and tots said...

Kids are so amazing. Praise God for revealing Himself to your precious children! He's so GOOD!!!