Thursday, September 18, 2008

The Wal-Mart Witch

The onset of Halloween propaganda is upon us; and it's only September 18. And it started well before this day. Only six weeks to go - great. Lest you have any doubt about what I think and how I feel about this "holiday", let me set the record straight - I hate it. There's not one single thing that I like about it. What's to like about witches and ghosts and goblins? My wife walked in to Wal-Mart this afternoon with my four kids no less; and right at the front of the store in full view of everyone was a life-sized, green-faced, decked-out-in-black, eerily-talking, scary-looking witch holding a crystal-ball with a skull inside. Yeah - that's what I want my kids exposed to. Thanks Wal-Mart (and every other retailer going the extra mile to promote the most wicked and evil "holiday" on the planet)! I'm glad we can depend on you to promote & choose that which is family friendly over the almighty pursuit of another dollar - NOT!
OK - enough already. Wal-Mart and other like-minded, Halloween-hungry retailers are an easy scapegoat; but they're not the reason I have such disdain for this. The truth is that I'm a Christian; and I don't want my family and children exposed to anything that is remotely related or connected to (as far as it is within my control) Halloween. Although the Bible does not give direct prohibitions regarding Halloween, it does give clear admonition and caution regarding that which is evil and dark in 1 Thessalonians 5:21-22. It says, "Test everything. Cling to that which is good. Abstain from every form of evil." BE CAREFUL. BE SURE. BEWARE. posted by John

No comments: