Thursday, September 4, 2008

What Children Need Most

By definition, a NEED is a must-have. Something you can't live without. A matter of life and death. WATER. FOOD. AIR. Needs. It's a good question. What do children NEED most? What do children need most from parents and teachers and grandparents in their life? I pondered this most probing question as I was preparing my remarks tonight to a group of teachers and parents of preschoolers. Tonight was Wee Ones orientation. Wee Ones is a ministry of our church to preschoolers designed to provide them with educational, physical and spiritual learning & growth opportunities prior to beginning their Kindergarten year. Both Brenna and Bethany are a part of this ministry. And even as a Children's Pastor, it can be quite a daunting task to share some brief but encouraging words to a group of parents, grandparents, and teachers surrounded by a host of babies, toddlers, and preschoolers. God led me to the perfect passage of Scripture to answer a most essential question: what do children need most? Stated more personally: what do my children need most from me? Matthew 19:13-15 (NLT) says:

"Some children were brought to Jesus so he could lay his hands on them and pray for them. The disciples told them not to bother him. But Jesus said, 'Let the children come to me. Don't stop them! For the Kingdom of Heaven belongs to such as these.' And he put his hands on their heads and blessed them before he left."

What a powerful passage. God gave me at least three things in this passage that my children need most from me. 1) My children need me to BOMBARD heaven on their behalf. Simply stated, we call it prayer. Why were these children brought to Jesus? So He could lay hands on them and pray for them. This passage doesn't even say who brought these children to Jesus or how many children their were. Regardless, they knew what the children needed most: prayer. Jesus prayed for them. That's probably a good example for me to follow. Talk to God about them. Talk to God with them. Talk to God for them. We don't pray because of who we are; we pray because of who He is - almighty, all-powerful God. I need everything He is and provides; and so do your children. Follow Jesus' example. Bombard heaven for your kids. 2) My children need me to BLESS them. That's right - bless them. Again, Jesus did it in this passage. He placed His hands on their heads and blessed them. I'm not exactly sure what that looked like; but my best guess would be that Jesus showered these children with verbal bouquets like: "I love you." "You are special." "You are one of a kind." "You are precious to me." "You are mine." And on and on and on. He lavished on them kind, encouraging, comforting words of affirmation, appreciation, and praise. He paid no attention to performance, appearance or ability. No superficial stuff here. None of that matters. What matters is that He made them, He loved them, and He in turn blessed them. Children are a blessing from God (Psalm 127:3). Let's bless them in return - just like Jesus did. 3) My children need me to BRING them to Jesus. Whoever brought these children to Jesus knew that an encounter with Him would change these kids' lives forever. It will do the same for mine - and yours. Nurture them, train them up, lead them to follow Jesus. Set an example worth following in word and in deed. Let them see and hear the difference Jesus makes in your life. Bring them to Jesus. You'll never regret it.

BOMBARD heaven for them
BLESS them
BRING them to Jesus.

That's what children need - yours, mine, adopted, biological, handicapped, normal, American, Asian, Australian, red, yellow, black, white, athletic, musical, intellectual, tall, short, cared for, abused, safe and sound, bruised and broken - let's give them what they need while we still can. posted by John


1 comment:

Kevin Preston said...

I've been reading in Numbers this week and 6:24-26 stuck with me. I've been trying to pray something similar to this over the kids at night. Thanks for the good words.