Monday, March 9, 2009

The Struggle

I was downstairs folding clothes when one of our favorite shows was coming on - CSI Miami. We watch it religiously. However as I watched the opening scene this evening, I was convicted. Let me explain. The opening scene was a wedding ceremony scene, but there was only one person - the bride. The ceremony was in reality a mock wedding ceremony that was celebrating her freedom from the man she had been married to. In other words, it was celebrating her divorce. The mock minister went through vows that included something like do you solemnly swear to live your life to the fullest, free from this man. It made me ill. It was convicting. I decided to come upstairs, finish folding and hanging up clothes, and forego watching one of my favorite shows. Now I'm writing this post. And the struggle is this: I enjoy watching CSI and CSI Miami. I enjoy it a lot - ashamedly I must admit I sometimes enjoy it more than I enjoy pleasing God. And as I watched the opening scene tonight, God really spoke to my heart. I was convicted. He brought Philippians 4:8 to mind, which says, "Finally, brethren, whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report, if there is any virtue and if there is anything praiseworthy - meditate on these things." Another translation ends the verse by saying "...think about such things." What things? Whatever is right, true, noble, just, pure, noble, pleasing to God, in harmony with His Word. What about things that don't fit the criteria? What about things that are wrong, false, untrue, dirty, of bad report or reputation, evil, unjust, yada, yada, yada? What do I do with that which promotes such an unhealthy diet of thoughts? According to this verse (and many others), I should avoid it like the plague. The show tonight made a mockery of something God loves and established - marriage. It also glamorized and justified as the norm something that is sinful and hated by God - divorce. No, it is not the unforgiveable sin; but it is sin nonetheless. And God just doesn't hate divorce, He hates all sin. We have just grown so callous to so many sins that are commonplace - at least I have in many respects. And I certainly have when it comes to what I watch. I have to ask myself the question: When I've watched CSI Miami or other shows like it in the past, why haven't I been as convicted as I was tonight? Good question. It's not like this or any other number of shows I watch haven't promoted this that are ungodly or displeasing to God. They do. And the struggle is that I still enjoy watching the shows for the sake of entertainment. And all too often, I'm afraid, I justify it by making it out to be not a big deal. It should be a big deal, and most of the time its not. I've got such a long way to go.
Does it mean I'll never watch again? Not necessarily. Its not about being rigid. It is about being honest. And the honest truth is that I do think it is a wake-up call for me to again make priority the things that should be and must be that will bring life change to me each day, and that is personal time with God - not anything else. Everything else is a poor substitute and leaves me, for the most part, unchanged or callous or justifying. God help me. Help me to renew myself to carry out Matthew 6:33 each day, which says, "Seek first God's Kingdom and His righteousness, and all these things will be added to you." posted by John

2 comments:

~Molly~ said...

Amen Jennifer, Amen!!!!

My mom watches some television shows that are just a bit too raunchy and mean for my tastes(The Closer, Missing, and another one) but I find myself drawn in when we visit. I get the same feelings too, a distasteful ick comes over me and I end up leaving the room or grimacing through the show. Ugh!

Of course, we are big fans of Sarah Connor Chronicles.*G* So far it hasn't been too and the kids do NOT watch it with us.

Thanks for posting this, I'm glad to know this happens to others!

Molly

taters and tots said...

As life rolls swiftly by, I find myself more often feeling that urging to spend my time doing the stuff that really matters and ditching the "mess", too. Thanks for sharing your heart. It helps to bear one another's burdens. It makes me realize what the fellowship of believers really means. Love y'all.