Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Remembering Kelly

It was the year 2ooo. Jennifer and I were in our pursuit of having children, but struggling. We were knee deep in debt and numerous trips to the fertility clinic in Shreveport, and then little 3 year-old Kelly walked into our lives. Actually, her aunt Barbara was a part of our life already. She worked for the chiropractor we went to, and she knew of our plight and desperate desire to have children. Her sister was Kelly's mom - a 28 year-old drug addict who had lived a rough life filled with numerous bad choices and had been diagnosed with terminal cancer. Her dad - a deadbeat deluxe named Dennis with the same type of lifestyle. Kelly's Aunt Barbara started talking to us about giving Kelly a home. At the time we knew little to nothing about foster care or adoption or the legalities of either. We were elated and simply desperate beyond belief to have a child to call our own. We were also naive and vulnerable but willing to take the risk. Sometime in late February Kelly's mom died. And so we took the risk.
March 10 rolled around. It was a Friday. I was the Children & Youth Pastor at a church in Longview. Our Disciple Now weekend started that night. It was overshadowed by the entrance of beautiful little three year-old Kelly. She was the child we had hoped for, dreamed of, and wanted. And she was ours for a brief two and a half months; and then she was gone. Our hearts were broken and dreams were shattered. To say we were devestated would put it mildly. She was given back to her deadbeat dad by a crazy Upshur County court. We saw her on June 12 when she turned 4 to celebrate her birthday at her Aunt Barbara's. I was leaving for a mission trip to Australia when I saw her for the last time on Tuesday, July 4. It was a bittersweet time. I cried like a baby as I left the country and Kelly left our life.
Now as I sit in my home some nine years later to the day that Kelly came to live in our home, I remember. And I wonder. I wonder about Kelly. And I pray for Kelly. She is 11 years old now. I pray that she is safe. I pray that she is in a home with loving, caring parents. I pray that she has encountered Christ in a personal way. I pray that God will use her in a mighty way to change her world and the world for His glory. And I pray that somehow, someway God will take the investments we made in the short three months of our experience with Kelly and bring those young seeds to fruition and growth. And I wonder. And remember. Remember Kelly. And smile. posted by John

2 comments:

taters and tots said...

I remember Kelly, too, and agree with you all in your prayers for her.

deborah metcalf said...

I also remember Kelly. If you would like to find her get one of the teens at your church to show you how to use facebook, twitter or myspace. You could look for her that way, since kids these days get on those avenues. I enjoyed your note.