Thursday, August 28, 2008

Turtles and Fenceposts and Faith

As I was driving back home this morning after taking the boys to school, a song by Mark Schultz came on the radio. "Remember Me" is the name of the song. Tear rolled down my cheek as I listened to the last verse of the song:

"Remember Me, when the children leave their Sunday School with smiles. Remember Me, when their old enough to teach, old enough to preach, old enough to leave. And age to age and heart to heart; bound by grace and peace.

Child of wonder, child of God. I've remembered you; remember Me."

As I listened and remembered, God brought Hebrews 13:7 to my mind. It says,

"Remember those who led you, who spoke the word of God to you; and considering the result of their conduct, imitate their faith."

He also brought some names to my heart and mind:

Margaret Rhodes - my high school senior English teacher who demonstrated God's tangible love to me as I struggled with my parents divorce. She took me in, nurtured me, loved me, invested in me, listened to me. She gave sacrificially of her time and herself.

Diana Jennings - an elementary school teacher at Ft. Worth Academy where I worked as a substitute teacher/day care worker/school janitor while I was in seminary. I spent a lot of time in her classroom talking about faith and family and life's daily challenges. She listened to and loved me and encouraged me through those long seminary days. She went the extra mile to help me. She was a true friend with a strong faith.

James Dawson - my children's church pastor at Terrace Hills Baptist Church. He shared "The Greatest Story Ever Told" with me. He led me to Christ as an eight year old boy. He served on my ordination council. He loved me and invested in me.

These are just a few of the persons on a long list of persons who've had a profound influence and impact on my faith. I'll add to the list in a later blog; but I'll leave you with this thought that I heard from the graduation speaker (whose name I don't remember) when I graduated from college. He said, "If a turtle is sitting on a fencepost, it had to have some help getting there." Who are the persons in your life who've helped you get where you are and become who you are today in life? Whose faith can you imitate because they spoke the word of truth to you and their conduct matched their speech? The Scripture implores us to remember them. I implore you to remember them, thank them (if possible), and thank God for them. Do it today. Every turtle needs help getting on top of the fencepost. posted by John


No comments: