Saturday, May 23, 2009

Where'd the Time Go?

5 years later
(National Day of Prayer rally with Brad McCoy
at our church)
May 21, 2004
(the day I met my boys for the first time at their foster home)
It seems like every week that I'm celebrating (and maybe mourning) an anniversary that is yet another reminder of how fast my kids are growing and how time flys and how critically important it is to, as Scripture implores us to, "...make the most of every opportunity, for the days are evil..." Yesterday the boys were out of school, so we took them and the girls to Texas Jumping Bean for an afternoon of fun and celebrating. That's right - I can't believe it has been five years either since the day I met Brandon and Bradley (see picture above). It was May 21, 2004. Brandon was 4 1/2 and Bradley was soon to be 3. Ten days later on June 1 they came to our home to be a part of our forever family. Where did the time go? Brandon is finishing the 3rd Grade and Bradley is finishing the 2nd Grade. Both are doing incredibly well. Brandon is making straight A's, playing baseball, and is as handsome as ever with those dimples he came with at age 4. Bradley has been tearing up the soccer field (he scored all three goals in our final game of the year), doing very well in school, and does everything he does at Mach 1 speed. Brandon will actually be old enough this summer to go to Pre-Teen Camp; Bradley will be starting T & T in AWANA at church in the Fall. WOW! I wish I could slow it all down. They grow right before my very eyes; and there's nothing I can do to stop it.

Dear God, help me to not be so busy that I miss the moments to enjoy and treasure. Help me not to be distracted by things that don't matter and neglect the things that do. Help me to leave work early from time to time instead of staying so late so often to get one more thing done and miss the treasure of moments at home in the process. Help me to be more patient and not get upset about things that really don't matter. Help me to love my boys unconditionally and train them up according to their way - that is, the way You made them to be. I need Your help God to give my very best with them and for them and to them - just as You have done and do for me. These boys are worth it; and they just don't need to hear it from me, they need to see it as well. I can't change the past and I don't know the future; but I know that right now in the now I need to cherish my boys and teach them to be godly young men - in word and in deed. I love them, God. Help me to show it and say it more. Because before I know it, it'll be May 21, 2018 and then 2019; I'll be blogging about where'd the time go, and these boys will be leaving high school and embarking on life away from home and living for You, Jesus (I pray!). Time may be the most precious commodity I have. Help me to use it wisely. So that as the time goes by, I will have no regrets.
posted by John

No comments: