Sunday, June 21, 2009

20 years

Father's Day 20 years ago - June 18, 1989 - to be exact. That was the day I surrendered my life to God to follow His call into ministry. I didn't know what exactly that meant at the time; I just knew that was His call for me. I only had one viable answer to His call - obedience. I had come up with every excuse to that point why I couldn't, shouldn't, or wouldn't. No excuse would suffice. Only yes. My college major changed from numbers (accounting) to people (ministry). Because of His call, I've had the joy of serving four different churches full-time and reaching out to people with the Good News of Jesus in seven different countries (USA, Canada, Mexico, England, Zambia, Zimbabwe, Australia) on four different continents (North America, Europe, Africa, and Australia). I've traveled through four different schools (Kilgore College, East Texas Baptist University, Southwestern Seminary, and Southern California Seminary). To think about the numerous people who have encouraged me, invested in me, helped me, prayed for me, and believed in me on this journey overwhelms me. To try to name them all would be impossible, so here are the few I can think of: Margaret Rhodes, Betty Berry, Don and Marie Page, Tim Snowden, Wayne Gooden, Dorothy Acree, Merle Moreland, Johnnie Henderson, Allan Thompson, Dr. Don Potts, Dr. Bob Utley, mom and dad, Dr. James Pierce, Jerry Campbell, Robbie Wooten, Diana Jennings, Don & Doris Bearden, Don & Diane Brown, my wife Jennifer Woods, Eric Luptak, Kevin Preston, Michael Julian, Michael & Helen Young, Neil Thornburg, Chris Moore, James Dawson, Gary Newman, Jerry Newman, Andrea Jones, Carl Glaze, Mike Westbury, Brenna Dossey, MeMaw and PaPaw, Greg Bell, Erik Roddy, Alex Hamilton, Carla Early, Paul Rotenberry, Alita Hacker, and my children (Brandon, Bradley, Brenna, Bethany). This list could go on and on and on. Thank you from the depths of my being to these family members, teachers, pastors, professors, counselors, judges, attorneys, mentors, co-workers, deacons, friends, students, and children who have helped shape my life. Someone wiser than me once said that God does not call the equipped, but He equips the called. I'm so glad. I'm so grateful. I serve a great big God. O God, help me to remain faithful to Your call - wherever you lead, whatever the cost, for however long. Help me to pour my life into others just as so many others have poured their life into me. I am honored. I am humbled. I am yours. Give me 20 more years and beyond to follow you, serve you, and lead others to do the same. posted by John

No comments: