Tuesday, October 14, 2008

The Great Moon Adventure & Worship

Sunday night after AWANA, Brenna wanted to ride home with me. As we drove home Brenna was looking out the window; and as I turned from going one direction to the next, she noticed that the moon would change locations (from her perspective) when I turned. It struck up a very unique conversation with me and Brenna (mostly one-sided) about - of all things - the moon.
The conversation went something loosely like this: Daddy, why is the moon moving in the sky? The moon actually stays in the same place, honey. It just looks like it is in a different place every time daddy turns or goes a different direction.
Daddy, if you touched the moon will it burn you? No, the moon won't burn you.
Daddy, have you ever been to the moon? No, I haven't Brenna. I've been to the moon, she said. How did you get there? I inquired. It's a long, long way to the moon. I stood on top of MawMaw and PawPaw's head. Oh really, I said. MawMaw and PawPaw are not tall enough to help you reach the moon. If you stand on their heads, you won't be able to do it. Well, she said, there were a thousand stools stacked up on top of each other to help me reach the moon. Where did you get those stools? MawMaw took me to all the Wal-Marts in Longview to get all the stools. Who paid for all those stools? MawMaw and PawPaw did. I don't know if you could reach the moon even if you're standing on top of 1,000 stools. If you can't, how are you going to touch the moon? PawPaw will throw me all the way up to the moon. You're PawPaw must be very, very strong. :)
Well, you get the picture. Brenna has a very active and creative imagination. Thank you, God, for giving it to her. She also has the gift of gab; and in this 15-minute ride home from church where Brenna barely came up for air in-between all her moon questions and my feeble attempts to answer them to her satisfaction, something unique happened. I had an encounter with God. That's right - I worshipped God with my four-year old through a silly conversation about the moon. Thank you, heavenly Father, for creating the moon as an instrument, not to be worshipped, but that could stimulate worship. It did for me. I look at the moon and am in awe at Your incredible handiwork. I look at and listen to Brenna; and I'm likewise stunned and amazed at Your masterpiece work of human art that she is. Help me not to miss the 15-minutes of memorable, magical moments of worship that are waiting in future conversations with each of my children or my wife or a stranger as well as in Wal-Mart or at the gas station or in my car or at work. I'm sure I miss them way too often. But I know that only You, God, can take the mundane and average elements of daily life & use them to create personal, life-changing reminders of Your greatness, goodness, and faithfulness. Help me watch for Your creative genius in these times; and when I do, to stop and worship You - in prayer or in song, out loud or in silence, at work or at play, at home or away, whether pleasant or painful. Because when I truly encounter You, I can never stay the same. In the words from Steven Curtis Chapman's song "Moment Made For Worshipping", every moment is truly one that is made for worshipping:

This is a moment made for worshipping
Cause this is a moment I'm alive
And this is a moment I was made to sing
A song of living sacrifice
For every moment that I live and breathe
This is a moment made for worshipping
Now, who's ready to go to the moon? posted by John

No comments: